Saturday, July 13, 2013

So Many Goodbyes



July 12, 2013
Dear Ones,
  I have decided that I really don't like goodbye- especially when goodbye has a question mark at the point where I should be saying hello once again. Recently I have been reminded often of this common occurrence that I dislike as I have hugged many precious family and with tear streaked faces, trembling smiles and well wishes we have said that hard word, "Goodbye" over and over again. I have also found in my contemplation that really I am forced to say this word a lot, to friends close, to friends far off, beloved family, people visiting the Big House,  those I have known a long time, those I have just met, children, adults...all of them, at some point I must tell them all goodbye.   Whether that goodbye is a see you in a few minutes, see you in a few days or weeks, or is it an, “I have no idea when we will meet again” kind of farewell.  Maybe it feels like a more permanent goodbye, on this side of eternity, like the tear washed kisses of goodbye to the little one in my arms as he goes to his forever home in heaven, they are all goodbye and in one way or another there is a part of me that would prefer to not do quite so many of them.   And when I start  thinking about goodbyes I even think  about the goodbyes I often say  to seasons of life and opportunities that I have loved or grown in. So many goodbyes…really, a lifetime of them.  With each comes the opportunity to reflect, did I make the time count, did I accomplish the goal, did I serve well, love well, did I speak, was I silent, was I joy filled, did I give grace just as I have been shown grace, or did I squander the valuable resource I was entrusted with, did I fulfill the role God had for me during the moments He gave me before the goodbye came?  Did I say, “Goodbye,” well?   
     In all of these goodbyes, as my heart longs for the ones I am missing,  I am eternally grateful that there is one Goodbye that I will never have to say as I cling tightly to the promise that has been made, “I will NEVER leave you or forsake you, I am with you always even to the end of the age.”  The One who will never say, “Goodbye” will hold my heart in His hands and will not allow the weight of Goodbyes here to outweigh the constant care of His keeping.
“God be with you till we meet again;
With the oil of joy anoint you;
Sacred ministries appoint you;
God be with you till we meet again.
Till we meet, till we meet,
Till we meet at Jesus’ feet;
Till we meet, till we meet
God be with you till we meet again.”

By Grace Alone,
Mariah. 

1 comment:

  1. Sweet Angel Mariah,

    Your words always touch me and I cannot tell you how proud I am of you! I am still working in public relations and visited Israel last year. It was amazing. Allison recently graduated from high school and will attend Francis Marion University. She is becoming a lovely young lady. I hope I can be a similar role model for her as you are for me. I miss you and I love you! You are amazing!

    Adrel

    ReplyDelete