Monday, January 12, 2015

Sifting, Saving, Savoring- Simple thoughts





Dear Ones,

  I pull myself up from the floor, careful to miss the rafters as I straighten my neck and shoulders trying to loosen the stiffness as I rise from my kneeling position.  I glance about the attic space around me and contemplate.  The past several weeks I have spent a good deal of time in this space.   I have opened containers and sifted through boxes sorting, piling, unwrapping, carefully rewrapping, and at times discarding various things.  At the moment, I find myself brushing the last of the tears from my cheek and wondering which item brought them on this time.  Was it the hand written note attached to a Christmas ornament from Grandma teasing me that I would be so much happier if I would come home for Christmas with her?  …Was it the little boy outfit from India wrapped carefully in tissue along with a photo of him?…Was it the heart shaped piece of plaster with a hand print formed in its center, a hand that I will never hold again this side of Heaven…maybe it was the neat rows of glass vases reminding me of past pursuits and ventures, the wooden dolls from Haiti, the delicate china tea cup that flashes memories of soft wrinkled hands cradling  it carefully, or the album pulled from that other bin reminding me of who I am and where I have come from.  Here in the midst of this long, low space, the boxes seemingly stare back at me as if they are inviting me to dig deep, to remember. Here I find myself among the memories, the heirlooms, the bits and pieces of mine and my family’s life.  Each item stored here has a story, a tale to tell, they hold memories of my past and opportunities to reflect.  During this process of sorting and cleaning out I have found myself bursting out with laughter at the funny things that I have found, and then there have been the seemingly silliest things that have triggered a flood of sobbing tears that shake my whole body and I have cried until my eyes were dry and there were only stifled sniffles left.  Granted there have been things that were not silly at all that have also caused the tears to fall, and that is a good thing.  There have been times when I have felt as if there was a dam holding back all those tears and I have been afraid to let them fall for fear that they would never stop.  Yet here is where my God is meeting me, here is where He is holding my heart and allowing me to grieve, to be frustrated, to wonder and revel in His plan, His goodness, His Grace!  In going through the old, the stored, the dusty, I am given opportunity to pause and consider not only what the future possibilities are, but also to reflect  on many of the things that I have not had a chance to process through in the past.  In considering this time of furlough I am grateful for the blessing of the tears, for the healing of the laughter, and for the time and ability to be within my family structure knowing that it is a safe place to sift through the various emotions and be reminded ever so gently by them of those things that are true and the One who is Himself Truth for that is the greatest heritage I have.
  Though it is so very hard to process through much of this, I am ever so grateful to be on this portion of my journey, to be here and doing this now, to be growing and learning during this time.  I am also being given the incredible blessing of spending time being part of my family, getting to know my little sisters and delighting in the precious gift of their lives.  I have been overwhelmed by the encouragement and support that each of you have provided.  You have listened, prayed for, hugged, sent messages, called me, and just been there… I am most richly blessed!  I am excited to see what God will do in my life this coming year through it all.  Happy New Year!

Through Grace alone,
Mariah

No comments:

Post a Comment