Friday, May 25, 2012

"Fear Not"

 
May 24, 2012

Dear Ones,

        “Fear Not.”  Have you ever stopped to think about those words, that command, for some reason it is something that I have been considering a lot lately…  In fact I was sitting at my desk this morning snuggling a little one who has just been fussy lately.  You moms out there know what that is like, you know the fussy that just wants to be held, snuggled and soothed.  I found myself gently swaying as I worked away on my charts and softly talking to this little one saying things like, “Shhh it’s OK, don’t worry I got ya, don’t cry shhh.”  As I sat there whispering words of comfort I was reminded of a friend’s recent question, “Aren’t you afraid?”  It was a huge question that covered so many things.  It was about traveling to unfamiliar places in foreign countries, about not being married, about being far from loved ones and the familiar comforts of Home, about being surrounded by sick children, about walking down the street, about getting sick…the list went on and on.  I paused before I answered and a thousand things came to mind and then slowly and confidently I responded, “No.”  The obvious next question was, “Why not?”  That took a little more explaining.  I thought back to my mother’s response when a friend asked her if she was ever fearful having her daughter live in China and she said, “My daughter is safer in the center of God’s will than anywhere else on earth.”  What an incredible way to look at things, and it is the truth.  It was the way I was raised.  I grew up in a family where fear was not a usual or primary response to things.  For example I was raised with a healthy respect for poisonous snakes but also an ability to pick up and play with the harmless ones- Mom was never one for squealing or screaming when encountering retiles or insects and so we never learned that, funny how that works.  I only remember seeing fear in my parents eyes or actions on a very few occasions and those are moments that are etched in my mind because it was a reaction that I saw so infrequently.  Instead they taught us to fully trust God’s plan for our lives knowing that He would never allow anything into our lives that He was not completely in control of.  It was the little things like the fact that growing up our family didn’t watch “scary” movies, the reason was simply explained, first God wouldn’t like it and second that Mom and Dad never wanted us to be afraid- nightlights were for not tripping over things not because my siblings and I were afraid of the dark.  In fact one of our favorite activities was to be out where it was very dark so that we could see stars.  Daddy used to point up to the heavens above and remind us of when God told Abraham “Fear Not…” and then asked him to look up at the stars and count them if he could.  He would then remind us of the Incredibly Big God we belonged to, a God who reminds us that there is a difference between Fear and being afraid.  God’s word is full of His command to not be afraid, to “Fear Not” and at the same time saying, “The Fear of the Lord, is the beginning of wisdom.”  I want that kind of fear.  A fear that drives me to know the One who loves me with a jealous love, the One that holds me in the palm of His hand, the One that controls the course of all things, who holds judgment in His Right hand and disciplines those He loves.  That is the fear I want to know.  I have to smile to myself and think back I am sure there are times when I have demonstrated fear in other ways and I will admit that there are moments when I am really startled, how can you drive in China and not be occasionally “startled” by the amazing things going on around you.  And of course there is the occasional mouse that needs to be dealt with…spiders are no big deal unless they run across you when unexpected and I admit that will make me jump.  Each time one of our little ones leaves us or goes for surgery, or has difficulties there is a very human part of me that feels a measure of fear for their future, for the outcome, for their safety.  There are days when I have to take my concern and my “afraid” things to God and lay them down saying, “I will not fear for you are with me.”   
   So here you are sweet little one snuggled in my arms relaxing as I rock and whisper, ”Shhh, don’t’ be afraid, I’m here.”  You are an example to me of what God calls me to do each and every moment, quiet, still, peaceful, at rest, snuggled close, and without Fear.   By His grace and His strength I want to “Fear Not.”
“Jehovah is my light and my salvation: whom shall I fear?  Jehovah is the strength of my life: of whom shall I be afraid?”  Psalm 27:1

With love for each of you,
Mariah


1 comment:

  1. Oh, that was beautiful!!!!!!! What an encouragement.
    Deborah

    ReplyDelete