Thursday, July 9, 2015

Camping Notes



July 3, 2015

   I sat on the large rocks of the lake edge, my toes curling into the sand and stones of the bottom while I dried in the warmth of the sun.  My family was scattered about me, each one of us enjoying the beauty of our surroundings.  In the quiet my thoughts tumbled over themselves.  I pondered the scene before me and had to smile as I considered the moments.  Just this morning I had watched as my Daddy had patiently 
taught little sisters armed with small fishing poles how to cast and reel.  I had thought back so many years to when he had taught me the same thing.  I watched little bodies splashing about with masks and snorkels in place trying to catch tiny fish that teamed along the shoreline and swam among the rocks.  I had awoke to the glow of sunrise through the yellow canvas walls of the tent I grew up with and smiled to see my sisters snuggled in sleeping bags near me.  My family loves camping, in fact it never really felt like summer until we had spent a couple weeks living in the tent, cooking over the open fire, carrying water, and finding the perfect spot for fishing just as dawn was breaking. 
 
 I had to smile to myself as I was being pulled along behind the boat on the inner tube that this really did look like how my life was going.  I was simply along for the ride, God directing, pulling, choosing the direction and I need to just hang on especially when there was a wake, of the boat shifted direction and speed.  I needed to have my life jacket fastened tight, and my eyes focused on the craft before me so that I could follow without flipping and flailing about- oh if life were only as easy as being pulled behind a boat!




No comments:

Post a Comment