Thursday, July 9, 2015

Taking it all in...


July 8, 2015

Dear Ones,
  The number of times I have sat down and begun to type a letter to send out to each of you, such as some interesting story attempting to explain the season I have been through during the recent months, is really too many.   Yet here I sit, once again, trying in some way to break it down into bite size pieces of information that will somehow make sense.   Maybe in some small way it is for me an ability to share in a greater way the work that God is doing in my life during this unique active waiting time.  So I would like to share a few glimpses of this teaching-learning time with you.
   I have had the opportunity during this time to sit and talk with many of you face to face, something I so greatly missed while on the other side of the world.  I have been able to share through tears, laughter, long silent pauses to gather my thoughts, and then tumbling words that just rolled out one after another in a torrential flow, it just seems that no matter how hard I try there is not a really easy way to share all that I have seen and heard and held.  I have, and continue to seek out wise counsel that points me ever back to my incredible God and His perfect plans that never fail, His promises that ever sustain, and His Word that is truth.  A special thank you to each of you that have sat and sipped coffee, shared lunch, and taken time to simply sit for what has many times turned into hours of just talking and sharing, the time with each of you has been a precious gift.  I still have many things that I hold very close and ponder in my heart, things not ready to be shared yet.  At times, the possibilities and unknowns seem so overwhelming and I love the way one sweet friend put it, “You just really wish God would send you a text!”  There are days when one of those would be really nice and then I have to remind myself that He has given me His whole text!  His Word is complete, lacking in nothing, I simply need to dig deeper and listen with an open heart to all that He is teaching me in this time of waiting.
    In these days I have had the chance to travel a little to visit friends and supporters.  Some trips have been as close as a local shop, or the farm for time in the fields, biscuit making and impromptu tea parties that poured into my heart.  Others visits have been much further away in distance.  This has been incredibly encouraging and has given me the fun gift of driving, which for me is a wonderful time of thinking and processing.  I love driving and so long roads stretching out for hours ahead are a special thing for me. 
  While visiting a dear China friend who now lives in Washington DC, I had the chance to spend the day alone visiting the Holocaust Museum, which sounds a bit strange, but for me it was a reminder of the war that I have seen fought every day for the lives of little children.  I stood for the longest time reading and looking at the pictures in the display showing the “hospitals” for imperfect children who were placed there to be disposed of through various means, and these were not Jewish children they were German children who did not “meet the standard of the new culture.”  I thought of buildings full of children, halls lined with cots, rooms down dark hallways, and societies that have thrown away what God calls valuable, the very ones that He says are made in His image.  I cried as I stood in a room surrounded by black walls filled with names and thought of a Big House with its roof top walls filled with names… all these lives lost in wars.
  I have spent time relearning what it is like to shop where I can read all the labels, to enter a store and not be overwhelmed by the sheer amount of things available on the shelf.  I am remembering what it is to drive in some sort of orderly fashion where red and green lights are not simply pretty decorations and sidewalks are not an extra lane used for passing when needed.
  I was able to spend time visiting my dear friend Sarah who is in the States right now from India.  She and her family opened their home and hearts to me and little Jeremiah while we were in India.   I was once again able to sit down with her, to introduce her to my sister, Melissa, and to have a chance to talk heart to heart. This friend, who knows many of the little details of God’s grace in placing her in my life at a crucial crossroad where she became a faithful shoulder to lean on in the hard.  What an incredible grace gift.
  I have in these past months been given the amazing opportunity to spend time with and serve my family in ways that I have not been able to in years.  I have been given the simple joy of daily washing dishes, doing laundry, cleaning, cooking, preparing lunches for work and school and adding an extra set of hands to the various projects that are being done.  It is amazing to me the vast amount of deep thinking and prayer that can be done while my hands are busy doing the routine and that I can perform with almost rote memory.  During this time, I have been given the beautiful gift of getting to know my two little sisters, I have always been the sister who lived in China, who visited at Christmas, and talked on Skype.  Now I have the privilege of hearing about school lessons, and attending field days, I have the chance to tuck notes in lunch boxes, and spend time with them.  I get to go with them on adventures, have tea parties, play Legos, dress baby dolls, and read stories.  I get to see kindergarten graduation and swim lessons, and listen with smiles to piano lesson renditions of songs.  I have the joy of hearing them tell the stories of Jesus and His love for them and all about their love for Him.  I have loved being able to go with them on their first camping trip, tracheostomies do not mix well with dirt and water so finally having the ability to go camping is a huge event in our family.  I watched as two wiggly little girls learned to fish the same way their older sisters did.  I watched as my daddy patiently showed them how to cast, untangled lines, and then finally baited hooks and sent the lines flying out into the water.   Yes, we did actually cook and eat what they caught!  
  I have spent time reading books that cause me to think, to ponder, to listen closely to what God is teaching me through the pages and then take it all back to the truth of His Word once again.
  I had the humbling experience of being able to attend a very special Show Hope reunion with my family that was hosted by Steven Curtis and Mary Beth Chapman.  We went to Nashville and joined many other families, all with children who had been adopted from the Care Units that I have been working in and I cannot even begin to describe to you the beauty of that time for me.  I was able to see children that I have loved, cared for, held, and prayed over, now in the arms of loving forever families.  It was like a tiny glimpse of Heaven when God will call home all of His adopted ones to their forever home, and His forever family reunion.  I heard my name being called by little voices.  I felt arms around my legs and my neck.   I saw mothers’ and fathers’ tears through my own as I felt an overwhelming sense of God’s abundant grace.  This incredible gift of seeing so many little faces and wiggling bodies filled with life and laughter—I have been most richly blessed.
  Nashville trips have also brought special time for catching up with dear friends, sharing fellowship together, introducing family to people that I have grown to love over the course of my years in China and who have been such an incredible source of friendship and encouragement to me.
  These are just a few glimpses of the days that are being written during this season of my journey, and each moment brings new opportunity to share with various ones the amazing love that God has for orphans and how He provides and cares not only for them but for those who follow His commands to care for them.  I am amazed at every turn at how He teaches me more of Himself and His heart for the lost through the care of the fatherless.  I have had the chance to share with some of you in a very close personal setting.   I wish there was a way I could sit down with a cup of coffee or a peanut butter blitz shake with each one of you and share more.  I am actually very excited that I will be going with my sister, Melissa, and a small team from AFCI (Ambassadors For Christ International) to the Ukraine, July 14-26, to help with a weeklong English/Bible camp for teens.  I am looking forward to having the chance to share with those young people God’s heart for them, His heart for the lost, and His longing to be their Father.  What a joy to know that God uses the experiences in our lives on His calendar to orchestrate opportunities to share in ways that I could never imagine.  I look forward to sharing with you how God uses and leads during this time.  And I am praying that there will be even more opportunities in the time ahead to spend time telling you of all that God is doing and has done as I cease striving and prayerfully wait on Him and His direction for the next step in my journey.

Only by His Grace,
Mariah

No comments:

Post a Comment