Thursday, February 11, 2010

October 3, 2009




October 3, 2009
A Note From China Just For You,
Each time I sit down to write one of these notes I imagine having a conversation with each of you and it makes me smile. Thank you ever so much for your incredible support and encouragement, I am blessed by it in so many ways.
Many of you will have been watching the news and know that October first was not only Jacob’s Birthday (Happy Birthday Little Brother!!!) but also the 60th Anniversary of the People’s Republic of China. This celebration also coincides this year with the Mid-Autumn Festival where people are reminded of families and there are many reunions and many Moon Cakes exchanged, especially today when there is a full moon. As this was the 6oth anniversary October 1st-8th has been declared a National Holiday, there are lots of fireworks/firecrackers, many more than usual and as some will see broadcast there have been parades in various cities, mainly Beijing but they are only for those who are invited. For us here at Maria’s things run pretty much as usual although many of our staff have taken vacations to go see family during the holiday. In order to celebrate the 2 important days during the week we have passed out moon cakes to all the staff and the cooks are preparing chicken dinner for everyone… for those of us who live in the South that sounds really good I was thinking awesome fried chicken (yes they do have it here). Well let’s just say I have never had chicken like this! Jin went to the market Wednesday night and I have attached pictures of what he brought home… 54 freshly butchered and plucked chickens, that didn’t bother me at all I have seen my fair share of butcher days and I am well acquainted with the fact that meat in general is much fresher in China. It was what happened next that took me by surprise. The cooks each grabbed a large clever and began chopping- yes the whole chicken, bones, feet, heads, the WHOLE thing! They then cooked it in a soy sauce, vinegar brine with chili peppers and some other seasonings and then everything was served with rice and a vinegar cucumber “salad.” I sat there smiling- I can remember when I was younger my Great Grandma Beulah not wanting to eat Kentucky Fried Chicken because the pieces were unrecognizable… I picked up one piece with my chop sticks and was looking at it when one of the ayis told me I had the best part- the beak, with the tongue still attached- did you ever look for the chicken’s tongue!?! I opted to share the wealth and gave it to her, she was thrilled! Tonight they will go when the butcher calls for another 54 chickens in order to have chicken again tomorrow…
In other news I am doing well, I have my moments when I miss home and all things familiar however my Heavenly Father has given me just enough work to keep me busy which keeps my mind off the homesick part. I have had one pretty sick baby the past several days so I have been up a lot at night and standing over her bed during the day. I am so very grateful that Dr. Zhia is quick to relieve me, sending me to take naps, breaks, or eat while he or one of the other nurses watches over her. She is doing much better today and so I am actually sitting her in the kitchen typing up this letter while I wait for my apple crisp to finish baking in the toaster oven. It smells so good, like fall and home, Jona and Erma are hovering hoping to scoop into it when it comes hot out of the toaster. They are working on memorizing the poem Dr. Zhia taught us for the Moon Festival (Mid-Autumn), it is about a man who is sitting on his bed and the light from the full moon is shining in and reminds him of his home and how much he misses his family- I told Doc that his idea of poetry really needed to make us feel happy not homesick we could do that on our own… kind of like singing, “Somewhere Out There.” We are actually thinking about going up on the roof and having dessert by the light of the full moon, if it doesn’t decide to rain. There has been a beautiful golden fall sunshine streaming through the windows all afternoon but it appears to be clouding over so we may be in for a little shower. I need to close this note and get it in the “mail” to you.
With Love from China,
Mariah

No comments:

Post a Comment