Friday, October 14, 2011

"Love In Any Language..."


October 14, 2011

Dear Ones,
            I’m learning Chinese.  Don’t shake your heads and smile as though you think to yourself, “Well of course you are, you live in China.”  It really is a choice, I can study and do it well or I can “just get by.”  There are days when no matter how hard I try it is simply a survival thing and I am for positive that even the simplest things are not quite as clear as they could be or even should be.  I have been here over 2 years and they say with lots of study it usually takes about 7-8 years to feel proficient, then I meet those who have been here longer than that and say it takes even more and of course there are those who are here for a year and well let’s just say that they suddenly make me wonder if I should rethink my view point on the gift of tongues.  However no matter how hard I wish it away there is no getting away from the need to communicate, and so here I am learning Chinese.  Can you tell I spend a lot of time contemplating Chinese, there are days when I would prefer to not go out and about because you have to talk and well let’s just say that it is with great effort that I work out my conversations to use the simplest words in order to get my point across because no matter what I am positive that when I try those long words that my tones get all confused and I am asking about your mother’s horse and not whether this meat is horse or something like that. 
   I was considering this whole language thing today as I held a little one pondering her tiny broken and frail body, whispering softly to her and singing.  Suddenly the words of an old Sandi Patty song where right there in the forefront of my mind,
“Love in any language
Straight from the heart
Pulls us all together
Never apart
And once we learn to speak it
All the world will hear
Love in any language
Fluently spoken here.”
  I quietly began singing it to her smiling to myself as she relaxed and settled into sleep, thinking how grateful I was that this baby in my lap didn’t care what language I was singing to her in, she simply recognized and was relieved by the love that she felt.  It is a language that I see all around me every day.  It is the language of love that is poured out on me in so many ways by each of you.  It is lavishly displayed to me through a merciful Heavenly Father.  It is seen in the actions of the women who care for these little ones.  I see it in the lives of those around me who have poured their hearts into making every moment they can just a little better for the children we serve.  It is a language that crosses all borders and boundaries and firmly plants itself in the hardest places, because it is the very love of The Father for the lost that speaks loudest in the darkest night and calls each of us to rest our weary, broken, and frail bodies on His lap in order to be comforted and to be loved even in the pain of suffering.  What an incredible lesson language and a little one can bring.

With love to each of you…In any Language,
Mariah

1 comment:

  1. Hey Mariah!
    It is always so good to get emails from you! I still have your 1st pictures with you and little Emma on my desk. I can not believe how much has happened and changed since I lived in Beaufort! I went part time this week at work. I just felt like I was being disobedient to God and not taking care of my family like I am supposed to..so I did it. I can already tell a difference in our home.
    Gus is growing. He is now 5 months old. I need to send you some pictures! Sometimes when I am rocking Gus and singing to him, I think of all those babies that will never have someone to hold them and sing. It breaks my heart. Thank you for doing what you do! I pray for you and all your little babies. I often go to the website and just look at their cute faces! Hopefully one day, I can welcome one( or more!) into our home.
    I hope you are doing well.
    Love you, Mary Alice


    Love you, Mariah.
    Sarah Alles


    We love you and will be forever grateful for your heart for these little ones…I’m blessed to call you my friend.
    Kathy


    Thank you Melissa - please convey to your sweet sister how much her Godly insights and beautiful attitude have blessed us. She would probably be surprised to know how far and wide her words and pictures have been shared and appreciated. These letters, I hope, can be saved; as a collection they would make a great devotional book. Love to you and your family. In Christ our hope! Earl & Nancy Piper.

    Just checking in and wishing you continued success with these babies. In any language.
    DrH

    ReplyDelete